Drinking plenty is a very important part of the Dukan diet, especially during protein days. The suggested 2-3 litres of liquids per day can seem like a daunting task when you start the diet, however you will quickly learn that it’s not only managable, but can help you enjoy your meals and avoid cravings.
One thing we should get out of the way first is that liquids does not mean just water. You are encouraged to drink with every meal any of the following:
bottled, sparkling, or tap
no sugar, but you can use sweeteners or skimmed milk; herbal tea is allowed too
no sugar, but you can use sweeteners or skimmed milk
diet pepsi, coke zero, or any other sugar-free drink
You eat oat bran in every phase or stage of the Dukan Diet and increase the amount of oat bran that you eat as you progress through the stages, but the amount of oat bran you can eat in each phase is restricted. Although oat bran does have a beneficial impact you can have too much of a good thing and exceeding the prescribed limits of oat bran, in any phase of the diet, can stop you losing weight or even see your weight start to creep up again.
It is important to remember that the Dukan Diet is a high protein, low fat, low carb eating plan and oat bran is a carbohydrate.
In the Attack Phase or Phase 1 you can eat 1.5 tablespoons every day and this increases by 0.5 tablespoon as you progress through the other Phases. Cruise Phase or Phase 2 is 2 tablespoons, Consolidation Phase or Phase 3 is 2.5 tablespoons and Stabilisation Phase or Phase 4 is 3 tablespoons.
Tolerated food is food you can have starting from the Cruise phase.
You must remember that you are allowed only two items per day.
- Fat free fruit yogurts (with bits) 1
- Plain soya yogurt 1
- Corn Flour 20g
- 3% fat cream (double or single) 30g (1 tbs)
- 1 coffee spoon of sugar free low fat cocoa powder (no more than 20% fat)
- Wine (red/white) for cooking 3 tbs
- Spiced Goat sausage 50g
- Poultry sausage 100g
- Soya milk (glass) 15cl
- 7% fat cheese 30g
- Rhubarb (cooked) 100g
- Oil 3 drops (3g)
- Gaspacho (not home made) one glass
- Soy sauce 1 tsp
- Extra light Philidelphia 30g
- Light cheese like laughing cow 30g
- Custard Powder as “Bird” 1 table spoon per day with sweetener and skimmed milk
- Oat Bran during Attack 1 & 1/2 tbs
- Oat Bran during Cruise 2 tbs
- Oat Bran during Consolidation 2 tbs
This is the big safe list, you can eat anything on this list – as much as you want. Just remember to alternate Pure Protein days and Protein & Vegetable days.
In the Attack Phase you can only have proteins, no vegetables.
Very Protein-Rich Foods
Meat and offal
- Beef steak
- Fillet of beef
- Sirloin steak
- Roast beef
- Rump steak
- Bresaola, air-dried/wind-dried beef
- Veal escalope
- Veal chop
- Calf’s liver
- Pre-cooked ham slices (without any fat or rind)
- Pre-cooked chicken and turkey slices (without any fat or rind)
- Fat-reduced bacon
- Game (venison, pheasant, partridge, hare, grouse)
- Cod (fresh)
- Crab/ocean sticks (surimi)
- Dab/lemon sole
- Dover sole
- Grey mullet
- Rainbow trout/salmon trout
- Red mullet
- Smoked salmon
- Sea bream
- Swordfish 39
- Fish roe (cod, salmon, herring, nitillet)
- Dublin Bay prawns
- Mediterranean prawn/gambas
- Chicken liver
- Guinea fowl
- Hen’s eggs
- Quail’s eggs
Non-fat dairy products
- Non-fat cottage cheese
- Non-fat fromage frais
- Non-fat,Greek yoghurt
- Non-fat quark/non-fat yoghurt (plain or flavoured with aspartame)
- Skimmed milk
- Broccoli/purple sprouting broccoli
- Cabbage: white/red/Savoy/cauliflower/Chinese leaves/kohlrabi/kale/Brussels sprout (all types of cabbage)
- Chicory100 Natural Foods That Keep You Healthy
- French beans/string beans/mangetout
- Palm hearts
- Peppers (sweet)
- Salad leaves: all types of lettuce/rocket/watercress/alfalfa/curly endive/sorrel
- Soya beans
- Swiss chard
The Dukan Diet is a four stage eating plan which in which you are not required to count calories and which allows you to eat as much as you want while losing weight. It then provides you with an eating plan that can be followed for life. The first two stages are the weight loss stages, while the final two are those that you follow to keep the weight off for good.
- Part 1 is the Attack Phase which is followed for between 2 and 10 days where you eat as much as you want of 72 high protein foods.
- Part 2 is the Cruise Phase. You follow this part of the diet until you reach your target weight adding a further 28 vegetables that you can eat on alternate days.
- Part 3 is the Consolidation Phase where you add other foods such as cheese, fruit and bread and are permitted two celebration meals each week. You follow this phase for 5 days for each pound lost.
- Part 4 is the Stabilisation Phase that you follow to maintain your ideal weight. You gradually increase the amount of carbohydrate in your diet, whilst having one protein only day each week The protein only day is usually recommended for Thursday, which is why the “Dukan Thursday” menus in France developed. You are also allowed one special meal per week where you can have a starter, main course and dessert of your choice.
As you progress through the different stages of the diet you will find it easy to plan daily menus from the allowed and tolerated foods lists.